Thursday, January 30, 2014

Luscious Lavender and Lemon Cake

I absolutely love to bake. I don't always get around to doing it as much as I'd like because, you know, life happens, but when I do find the time, I love to bake treats for my family. I've recently started experimenting with adding essential oils to my baking and so far, it's turned out well. Today I baked a lemon cake with lavender frosting and it turned out extremely well so I wanted to share that recipe with all of you!



Luscious Lavender and Lemon Cake

Lemon Cake
Ingredients

  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 3 drops of doTERRA lemon essential oil
  • 1 1/2 cups flour
  • 1 3/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 cup milk

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 F and grease a 9x9 inch pan.
  2. In a medium bowl, cream together the sugar and butter. Beat in the eggs one at a time, and then stir in the vanilla and lemon oil.
  3. Combine flour and baking powder in a separate bowl before adding to the creamed mixture. Mix well.
  4. Stir in the milk until the batter is smooth.
  5. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 20-30 minutes.

Lavender Frosting


Ingredients
  • 2 cups powdered sugar
  • 2 Tbsp butter, softened
  • 2 Tbsp milk
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • 1-2 drops of doTERRA lavender essential oil
Remember that a little bit of oil will go a long way. I initially tried my frosting with 3 drops of lavender it was . . . intense. Still tasty, but very lavender-y.

Directions
  1. Combine ingredients and beat on medium speed until smooth and fluffy.

A Vegan Note: Both the cake and frosting recipes can easily be made vegan by substituting vegan alternatives for the butter and milk. I personally like using Earth Balance for the butter and I have found that soy milk tends to work better for me in baking projects.

Happy baking, healthy hippies!


Interested in ordering essential oils for your kitchen? Click here!

No comments:

Post a Comment